Sir Henry Fortescue, the first son of Sir John of Meaux, acquired Wood Barton when he married Joan Bozun Of Hele and Wood in early 1420s.It was last held in the Family by Sir Peter Fortescue who died in 1686.
Wood Barton has been restored recently and now called Fortescue Manor. It dates from 1068 and is in a designated area of outstanding beauty. It was a large quadrangular mansion, in the 15th century, but today, it is as below. It has exposed beams, Gothic windows, flagstone floors and open stone fireplaces. Set in a half acre garden with 90 acres of communal gardens with fishing rights, stabling and paddocks..
Fortescue Manor at Woodleigh
The Church (St. Mary) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and three bells. . The interior has several handsome mural tablets, belonging to the various families. The silver flagon given by Lady Amy Fortescueto the church in 1686, weighs 4lbs. 12oz., and is emblazoned with the Fortescue and Courtenay arms
Grave of Francis Fortescue buried 6 April 1649
Memorial to Peter Fortescue heir to Sir Peter Fortescue and Amy.
Photos of Lady Amy Fortescue’s gift, were taken by Sara Mason