“Wimpstone” or “Whympston” is near Modbury, about 11 miles east of Plymouth, is the oldest known home of the Fortescue family. The manor of Whympston was granted to John Fortescue by King John in 1209, but the Fortescues were already in the district in about 1140 when Ralph Fortescue donated some land to Modbury Priory at about the time of its foundation.
Writing in 1797 Rev. John Swete stated it was then owned by Paul Treby Esq in 1862 the estate was owned by Nicholas Pitts of South Allington, and the country mansion called Whympston House was purchased in 1916 by the Plymouth Co-Operative Society Ltd. as a holiday home for its members. The sale catalogue of 1915 lists the following:[
“Whymspton Estate, Stubston Estate, Lower Little Modbury Estate, Stoliford Estate, Challonscoombe Estate, Damerelscoombe Estate, Easton Estate, Bray’s Wood (otherwise Braieswood) Tenement, Houghton Estate, Chantry Estate, Idestone Estate, Great Gate Estate, Alston Estate, fields called Tongue and South Down, several fields with barn and cattle linhays near Idestone Cross, Will Street meadow and pond in Loddiswell, Modbury, Aveton Gifford, Bigbury, Loddiswell and Malborough”
In 1925 the Co-Op sold the estate, as detailed in a sale catalogue of that year:
“Whympston Estate including Stoliford Farm; Lower Little Modbury Farm; Stubston Farm; Whympston House and Farm, Modbury”
The site in 2012 at the end of a private lane marked “Whympston” comprises a small settlement of a modern-looking farmhouse with older farm buildings and two modern bungalows nearby.