Ravensdale, near Dundalk in County Louth, was a large, rather austere, early Victorian house built of granite with a plain, irregular aspect. A lofty Italianate campanile with an open belvedere atop dominated the mansion.
Ravensdale was built for Thomas Fortescue, 1st Baron Clermont. The architect was Thomas Duff of Newry. It was partly two and partly three storeys, though mainly the same height, with an eaved roof.
The garden front was remarkably long, being ten bays. There was another front of five bays with a domed octagon at one corner. Ravensdale became the home of Lord Clermont’s younger brother and successor, the politician, Chichester Fortescue, 1st and last Lord Carlingford (who married the famous Frances, Countess Waldegrave). It was sold to Sir Daniel Dixon Bt, father of 1st Lord Glentoran; then sold again to Lord Arran. Ravendale was sold, yet again, in 1920 and burnt shortly afterwards.