Originally Kingcausie was one of the Temple Lands, but about 1537 they were purchased by Henry Irvine who built a house there. Kingcausie House stands within its grounds on the bank of the River Dee. It comprises elements of three main periods of construction an original house, probably of 17th century date but destroyed by fire about 1680, a rebuilding carried out before 1740, and additions made by David Bryce in 1852. Architectural features of 17th century date incorporated in the later building include a horizontal gunloop, a fireplace and two blocked door ways,one with a roll- moulded surround. The 18th century house, which forms the central block of the present building, was of three storeys, had a plain facade and a hipped roof.
Archer Fortescue was the son of the Reverend William Fortescue. In 1875 his name was legally changed to Archer Irvine-Fortescue under the terms of the will of his wife’s uncle, John Irvine-Boswell. He became the Twelfth Laird.
The family has retained the Seat and Henry Boswell Irvine-Fortescue is the current Laird. His father James Irvine-Fortescue, 15th laird of Kingcausie, saved the ancient county of Kincardineshire in 1972 when he arrived at St Andrew’s House in Edinburgh brandishing a claymore. At the Scottish Office headquarters James was warned about being in possession of an offensive weapon. But he replied that as he was wearing the kilt, the sword formed part of his Highland dress. Due to his efforts, the county remained intact, but Irvine-Fortescue returned to the fray 21 years later when it was to become part of Aberdeenshire. His efforts led to road signs proclaiming ‘Historic Kincardineshire’ whenever the old county is entered. He in 2005, aged 87, and is survived by his wife Margaret, three sons and a daughter.
His son Henry Boswell Irvine-Fortescue is the Sixteenth Laird of Kingcausie. He is seen below with his wife Hazell, their two children, and his mother Margaret in front of Kingcausie.