The Fortescue Aylmer Coat of Arms over the Front Door
The Ebrington Manor, Gloucestershire, was purchased in the reign of Henry VI. by Sir John Fortescue, the chancellor, from Sir Robert Corbet, but was confiscated by Edward IV; by Sir John Brug on Sir John Fortescue’s attainment but was restored to him in 1476. It has ever since remained in that family. It is one of the very few houses in England to have been occupied by the same family for over 500 years.
The garden is typical of the many English manor houses and was designed in the 1940’s by Sybil Fortescue, the current Earl’s grandmother.
EBRINGTON CHURCH (ST EADBURGH’S)
The church is partly Norman, having a fine specimen of Norman in the south door, and contains the tomb to Sir John Fortescue and memorials to the Keyt family. It was restored in 1876 and again recently by Earl Fortescue.
Sir John’s Tomb and Memorial
GRAVES IN CHURCHYARD